Sunday, March 1, 2009

WA 5 draft 3

I was standing in my normal clothes, looking at the faded, cardboard box in my hands. Inside was Aunt Tiffany's wedding dress, and I was about to put it on, something I'd dreamed of doing since I was a little girl. Suddenly I felt nervous that I would rip it or trip when I was walking in it. "Lucy? You ready to try that thing?" called Morgan from where she was getting changed.

I stood behind the big wooden pews, looking around the church. It must have been time for the wedding to start by now - we'd been in here for most of the day, getting things set up. Lizzy and I had been stealing cookies from the caterers' plates when they weren't looking, but then Noah caught us and made us stop. Of course, Lizzy blamed the idea on me. She's always doing that. It's like she forgets that I'm older and smarter than her.
Besides, it was her idea.

Morgan helped me get the dress on and was now zipping up the back. It was tighter than I had expected, but it really was beautiful. It went down to my feet and the sleeves actually made my arms look good. Morgan had a handful of flowers that she was pinning to the veil before I put it on.

I've never seen Ethan look so nervous. He was standing in front of the mirror, combing through his hair with his fingers. We were in one of those little rooms that you have Sunday school in when you're a little kid. They creep me out, especially at night. Noah caught my eye and came down to brush my jacket off. I wonder if he was still mad about the cookie thing.

"You look beautiful, Lucy," Morgan gushed as I looked at myself in the mirror.
"I'm so glad Aunt Tiffany let me have this dress. It's so... elegant." I did look pretty good in it. I twirled around in front of the glass. 
"Aunt Lucy?" I glanced down at Lizzy, our flower girl, who was pouting. She had on a shiny pink dress and was holding a basket of rose petals. "Percy's here and he won't go away!"

First Noah, now Lizzy. Why is everyone acting so bossy today? Noah just made my job as a ring bearer way harder, and now Lizzy's tattling on me (again!) just because I wanted to see Aunt Lucy. I mean, I didn't even do anything wrong! Did I?

"You know you're not supposed to see me before I walk down the aisle, young man," I reproached Percy, who had shown up unexpectedly just as the guests started arriving. I thought I had told Noah to keep an eye on him.
Percy sighed and gave me a pout that could've given Lucy a run for her money. "Everyone's telling me what to do today. Why can't I just -?"
"Because Aunt Lucy said so," interrupted Lizzy in her best bossy voice. She loved watching him squirm. "Now go away."
Percy gave her a pretty nasty sneer. "Tattletale," he whispered.

I was so annoyed with Lizzy. She really is nothing but a big tattletale, plus she's always siding with whoever's yelling at me. I went stomping out of the room, hoping to make Aunt Lucy feel sorry for me. People were starting to arrive, I noticed.
All of a sudden, I heard running feet behind me and turned around just in time to see Lizzy come flying out of the room and tackle me furiously. We shrieked as we fell to the ground, punching and pulling hair.
I really, really, hated Lizzy at that moment.


No comments: